Monday, April 13, 2015

We'll be seeing you soon, Sacramento

I truly came to Sacramento hoping to see the “sausage-making” of our political system, and in such a short time, I felt enlightened. As the week rapidly progressed, I was exposed to many of the issues our state currently faced: water, education, privacy, cyber security, etc. And I was happy to meet the brilliant leaders who are working to ensure these problems will soon meet their “silver bullet” and become a thing of the past.

 Our last day in Sacramento could not have been better. We met with the Students First organization in the morning. The non-profit is working to improve our country’s education system, starting with improving the quality of teachers currently in schools as well as attracting more competitive graduates to the field. They even discussed moving towards alternative forms of education, such as dual enrollment programs & charter schools. As a product of non-traditional education, I realized how blessed I was to be able to begin my college education when I was 16. Because of the Middle College Program, I was given the time, skills, and passion to enroll in this internship program rather than attempt to take another general ed course. 

Soon, we found ourselves meeting President Pro-Tempore of the Senate, Mr. Kevin De León. Senator De León was a truly humble man, and as he described his journey to where he is today, I could not help but feel inspired. Mr. De León was a very welcoming host and did not plan on leaving while a few of us still had questions remaining. This small act of kindness truly demonstrates how well-respected our program is, and how considerate Senator De León is. 

After getting a photo with Senator De León, we made our way to the Nossaman Lobbying Firm, which sat on the top floor of Sacramento’s few high rises. We sat around a large glass conference table that overlooked the construction site of where the King’s new stadium is to be built. Our hosts at Nossaman gave us insight into their careers as lobbyists, and how different it was than running for office and implementing change as a politician. They gave us a few examples of who they represent (mainly other government agencies around the state) and explained some of the cases they are attempting to “sell”. It was a great experience to see how other people are able to make policy without running for public office, or fearing re-election campaigns. 

In short, this internship has opened various doors for me and my peers, and I believe I speak for us all when I say that we are now at another tier. Our resumés now have this opportunity listed, and we will now be more competitive as individuals when we return to Sacramento in a few years and attempt to become legislative aides, policy consultants, lobbyists, or even as representatives of this district. 

I’m thankful for the chance to go on this trip and experience everything from the 3 a.m. train ride home to meeting Senator Jackson. I also want to thank Dr. Eskandari, Adam, Desiree, and Anastasia for all the countless hours they have put into making the trip as inspiring and fulfilling as it was. 


A special shout out to Sutter the Corgi, Governor Brown's dog. 


Thank you all, 
Elmer Martinez 

No comments:

Post a Comment